Dorothy C. Most ([1900 or 1901]-1983), A.B. ’24, LL.B. ’25, was the only woman in the law class of 1925. After graduation she went to work for Baker, Botts, Parker & Garwood in Houston, and after several years moved to New York City. In 1930, she began serving as an advisor and Dean of Women at St. John's College School of Law, where she received her J.S.D. in 1931. An accomplished violinist, she had previously played in the symphony orchestra at the University of Texas and studied at the Houston Conservatory of Music, and while in New York, attended the Julliard School of Music and served as a director of the Brooklyn Opera Company. She later returned to Texas and resumed practicing law.
This scrapbook contains a wealth of memorabilia, photographs, correspondence, greeting cards, newspaper articles, ephemera, and anecdotes related to students, faculty, events, and activities at the University of Texas and its law school that Dorothy C. Most collected during her years at the University. The pages are heavily annotated with her own comments and thoughts, providing a glimpse of both public and private aspects of a female student’s life in the 1920s. Also present are a few items related to her job search after graduation and her time in Houston. After 1933, the only apparent additions are a 1939 letter from Dean Ira P. Hildebrand and some annotations in red ink, dated 1975.
View the entire collection